|Sales Tax History||Amount|
Sales Tax Per Capita
|Revenues – Sales Tax||FY2019||FY2020||FY2021||FY2022||FY2023|
|Total Sales Tax||29,773,605||33,965,301||42,484,225||50,378,320||54,671,093|
|Per Capita Revenue||476||463||534||615||655|
Sales/Property Tax Rates
City Sales Tax is 8.25%, effective October 1, 2005.
The City receives 2% of the 8.25% sales and use taxes that are remitted by retailers within the City limits:
- 1.000% is used for general operating purposes
- 0.500% is used for transportation improvements through the Georgetown Transportation Enhancement Corporation (GTEC), the City’s 4B Economic Development Corporation, authorized in May 2001
- 0.125% is for Georgetown Economic Development Corporation (GEDCO), the City’s 4A Economic Development Corporation, approved in May 2005
- 0.125% is for property tax relief, approved in May 2005
- 0.250% is used for street maintenance, approved in November 2002 & reauthorized by voters in 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018 and 2022
- 6.250% is collected and retained by the State of Texas
8.250% Total sales tax rate
The City’s sales tax base is diverse, with revenues being generated by national retailers, building materials and utilities, etc. The heavy residential growth over the past few years has also created a demand for more restaurants and other retailers that have also expanded the City’s tax base. Sales tax has increased over the past few years due to an increase in new retail developments within the City.
To see a more detailed breakdown of the 2%, click here.